Friday, April 30, 2010

Final Week!

April 19-23: This being my final week of personal training due to exams starting next week, I'd like to outline just a few of the things I've learned:

1. Every college girl has convinced herself that she needs to lose at least 10 lbs and, even if you try to persuade her otherwise, she probably won't believe you. Thus, for this population, I prefer not to use the scale as part of my initial assessment because I believe fitness goals rather than body weight to be a better measurement of overall health.

2. First impressions of fitness can be very deceiving. Some of the healthiest looking people are in fact the weakest, while those who would appear out of shape are often the most familiar to exercise.

3. Not everyone likes to be instructed by a drill sergeant. For some people, any form of exercise is uncomfortable and intensity is a goal rather than a standard.

4. Feedback, feedback, feedback! People are not as inclined as I thought they would be to give feedback. If the weight is too heavy or something hurts, the grimace on your face won't always make me guess that something is wrong. You have to speak up!

5. Planning other people's workouts is the #1 de-motivator for planning my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment