Friday, April 30, 2010

Week 4

February 8-12: This week we're starting the real workouts. Since I meet with most of my clients twice a week, I've designed their first workouts to target upper body and I plan on developing their second workouts toward lower body strengthening. I've decided that each day will begin with 10 min or 1 mile of cardio on either the elliptical, bike, treadmill, or track. Some days, they will get to choose their cardio machine. Other days, when the workout includes intervals or a timed distance, they will have to use the treadmill in order to maintain consistency.

So far this week, I've realized how different it is to plan and implement a workout for someone else than to make one for myself. Designing one for a client requires you to estimate their level of fitness and how they will respond to certain exercises, then have modifications in mind in case the exercise is too difficult. Since the workouts I plan for myself tend to be high intensity (so much so that I often overestimate my own ability to complete them), I realized after directing my clients through their first workouts, that more moderate intensity workouts are necessary for people unfamiliar with high volumes of exercise. Planning and directing these types of workouts is more difficult than I thought it would be. I think a lot of my learning and getting better is going to end up being trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment